Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Bystander Effect

On October 31, 1993 my brother (27years old) was carjacked and killed on Manchester and Crenshaw.  It started as joyous night in which it was about 30-40 people that owned Mustangs were hanging out in the parking lot enjoying their evening showing off their sounds and their cars.  My brother got out his vehicle to flirt with some young ladies.  He left his vehicle running because he had a good friend of his as a passenger in the vehicle.  He left the driver door open because he was only a few feet away and it was a friendly crowded atmosphere.  Well my brother's killer jumped in my brother's car and pulled out some type of gun (maybe rifle I don't know the differences about guns) pointing it at his passenger telling him to get out of the car.  My brother was alerted of the situation and immediately proceeded  back to his car and ask the that person "what the f... you doing in my car" not realizing that the guy had a gun.  When he realized he had a gun brother threw his hands up and back away.  As he backed away he turned to leave (maybe he had other plans, but in the report their were no weapons found on my brother) as he was walking away the gunman opened fire on my brother shooting him numerous times in the back, front (apparently he turned back around and his first reaction was to shied himself), and while he was on the ground the gunman kept shooting him until he killed him.  Everyone in the parking lot including all my brothers friend saw it happen, but no one  including my brother's good friend that was his passenger did anything to stop this madman from killing my brother.  Everyone watched the incident happen.  That may have been about 100 people watching and no one did anything.  The passenger had the best advantage because he was in the car with my brother's killer.  Had someone hit or grap the gun from the gunman I would have had my brother to grow old with and share my dreams and aspirations.  All his friends I spoke to after the fact said it happened so fast and they were so stunned that it was happening they didn't know how to react.  They all said (after the fact) that I would have...............  I am happy to say that 13 years later I received a call from the detective 13 years later saying that they found my brothers killer because an innocent bystander that was sitting at the bus stop waiting for his son to arrive on the bus saw the whole thing occur and it has such an impact on him that he never erased that killer out his memory identified the killer in addition to DNA that is available today and other circumstances.  It took 2 years in trial, but we were able to put that killer away for a 25 years to life sentence.  It doesn't bring back my brother, but it does give a tiny tiny tiny tiny sense of satisfaction. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness for the eye witness. I am so sorry to hear about your brother. This incident is an example of the bystander effect. Close to 100 people and no one did anything. That's unfortunate but sociologists have documented this effect for decades.

    I am glad to hear that the shooter was caught and your family is healing. Loss is never easy, we just cope.

    ReplyDelete